Monday, September 5, 2011

Needles Anyone?

I have been terrified of acupuncture since forever.  My fear was magnified a hundred-fold after watching the preview for Final Destination 5, where a man falls off the acupuncture bed and lands on his needles.  I've even had acupuncture nightmares since then.  Yesterday though, while playing in a soccer tournament, I had the unfortunate luck of spraining my ankle pretty badly.  I was taken to the hospital, where the doctor recommended the usual treatment of RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) and a Physio appointment.  I took the news with a brave face and was ready to just give in and veg on the last day of my summer vacation.  My mother though, would have none of it.  Today, desperate for me to start playing soccer again as soon as possible, she took me to see her masseur...who also happens to be a professional acupuncturist.  Yay me.

My ankle getting some good old Chinese therapy
 
Actually, it ended up not hurting nearly as much as I thought it would.  Indeed, I feel surprisingly refreshed, except for the strong aura of bitter Chinese medicine that will probably linger around me for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment